It’s been awhile since I have been able to update this mainly due to taking part in an intensive coding bootcamp focused on full stack web development. As always I am constantly trying to improve myself and I thought this course would be the next step in the Randy saga! While doing this I couldn’t partake in any fun personal projects but I did note a few tricky problems I ran into at work and the following is one of them!
As I have discussed before my current work has an office in Brazil which is a constant stream of peculiar and challenging problems. Recently, they purchased a Windows SQL Server based software that reports info to the Brazilian government and department of imports. We thought it was a great idea until we realized that their support couldn’t even create basic SQL users. The other big issue, per usual, is the software is in Portuguese, which none of us here can speak. But the biggest problem is the government would not accept their submissions if the date, and currency were formatted incorrectly (US format vs Brazil format).
Initially, on the Terminal Servers I had set all users to use Portuguese (Brazil) format for Date, Time, Currency, Location, keyboards and Language. This seemed to work as the software was being setup and the users did not complain. However, once the software was finally fully deployed it was discovered that their forms were being rejected by the government due to formatting issues. I thought this was strange and when I double checked users accounts their settings displayed the correct formats. In Windows Server 2008 R2 these settings can be found in Control Panel > Region and Language.
After contemplating for awhile and seeing a few examples of the issue. I realized that these reports being generated must be using one of the built in Windows Service or SQL Accounts. It’s always tough to research these specific problems. Not many companies would set up a new software in another country in a different language. After playing with many settings and scouring the web for which account controls the default settings for SQL I found a resolution. In Control Panel > Region and Language > Administrative there is a “Welcome Screen and New User Accounts settings” section. Clicking the Copy Settings brings you a pop up that allows the current user to copy their settings to all new users, welcome screens and SERVICE ACCOUNTS!! Checking those boxes and rebooting the TS after hours resolved the issue. Reports were generated with correct date and currency format.
Administrating servers in another country and dealing with support through google translate can be tough but it is do-able. After a small headache Windows SQL Server accounts were in the correct formatting. The best news is a month after they decided to look at new software to replace the one we struggled through setting up. OH MY HEART, haha!